The Daily Encourager Trust is a not-for-profit charitable trust directed towards enhancing the education, health and spirit of people of New Zealand.
We want to encourage people daily through a variety of publishing platforms through uncovering amazing positive things happening in NZ that no one else is telling.
Profile of Trustees and Board
We believe that the media has a huge impact on people’s lives and we want to create a media environment that:
- Brings hope, lifts depression and reduces anxiety and suicide.
- Results in an increase in giving and generosity.
- Creates stronger and closer families and communities.
- Promotes increased respect and understanding of each other
We want to produce journalism that really matters to people, and put it in places where people will find it.
We will publish stories on the web and in print that go far beyond just publishing good news articles. We will report real life experiences and events that encourage what is best in society and human endeavour.
How we are different to other media
The Daily Encourager will raise up:
- Trust and integrity
- Truth and accuracy
- Honest real stories that are full of hope
- Treating audiences and story sources with respect
- Serving the public good
The Daily Encourager will not publish :
- Stories that judge or shame people
- Breaking news
- Negative news
- News motivated by ratings (click bait)
- Celebrating and honouring people
- Personal responsibility
- Giving back to society
- Truth and integrity
Our start-up plan includes:
- Finding hope stories from lower socio economic areas of NZ and those areas that need hope
- Producing a small scale print product and delivering it to every letter box in these communities
- Working with other NZ charities to promote their stories
- Growing our volunteer base
- Raising public awareness of the Daily Encourager vision and mission
We publish mainly original content from our Hope Writers who are paid on a per story basis. We are also reliant on a great deal of volunteer support. Some stories take over ten hours to research and produce, while others are provided with little editing required.
There are also overhead costs associated with web hosting, website maintenance, insurance, travel and marketing etc
On average a story costs around $250 to produce.
Our vision is big and includes both a national website and a regular print product that is delivered across New Zealand into major cities and towns, into airports, libraries, hospitals, prisons, rest homes, schools and universities.
We know that a vision is only achieved one step at a time and we need to start small and well.
We have started with this prototype website as a means of selling the vision, getting stories and building memberships.
Once we exceed our start-up targets we will be investing into:
- Enhancing the website
- More editorial resource and stories
- Growing and diversifying our revenue streams
- Growing the print product