Creativity Health People

A Sunday like no other

A rainbow appears above Wellington harbour on Sunday afternoon. Photo: Wayne Graham

Reflection:  It’s 6.30 am Sunday morning and I wake up. Time to make the first decision of the day. When will I arise from the sheets?  

I defer for 15 minutes…..

After a short dreaming time I decide to seize the day and make my way to the coffee percolator.

I love to watch Charles Stanley on TV3 at 7 am. This morning he is talking about not giving into fear. I’m so glad I got up.

In an hour it’s time for breakfast. Bacon bakes in the oven while I take the half avocado left in the fridge overnight and smear it over toast. I’m careful to cut around the brown bits.

Once the poached egg is ready I throw the bacon over the avocado and pop the egg on top. Delicious.

Our live stream church is starting at 10 am and I want to have time to practice on my keyboard piano.

I find the metronome takes no prisoners but if I slow it down to 60 beats per minute, a novice like me can cope.

I’m learning beginners jazz. Some bloke on the internet has produced a YouTube video of all the songs I am learning. I am very grateful.

At 9:45 am it’s still pouring with rain. I FaceBook message my pastor to tell him that ‘I don’t think I can make it to church this morning, it’s raining.’

Someone immediately responds,

Harden up.


I light the fire, grab my bean bag and another coffee and sit down to watch the service on my cell phone.

I’m feeling really cosy.

And I discover a new-found freedom in the streamed church service.

You can eat, make another coffee, go to the toilet, chat, while the pastor is preaching.

After church I need to go to the supermarket. I’m out of some necessities and need to stock up.

After arriving at New World I wait in the line outside. There are white markers to keep us apart. Every few minutes a lady dressed in black, wearing a white mask and gloves, calls us in three at a time. It is surreal.

Check out operators stand behind Perspex shields and frantically spray the surfaces with sanitiser. I have to take my bag and load it myself. The operators are not allowed to touch your bag.

Once I get home I’m still feeling unnerved by the experience. Have I brought home the virus? What is it attached to?

I wash my hands and place a plastic bag of apples and paper towels on the bench. I decide to leave them there for 48 hours. I figure, after that period of time the virus will get bored and eat itself.

I’ve also brought home some baked goods. Danish pastries and muffins. They were really cheap and I could not resist a bargain.

Obviously people are worried about buying them but I have a plan. I put them in the deep freeze. I’m aware that the coronavirus has not touched Antarctica.

Time for lunch.

I over boil some soup and sit down with a piece of toast. I’m still worried about my hands being contaminated so I stab the piece of toast with a fork and eat it from the fork.

I thinketh myself very clever.

Later, I realise I took the piece of toast out of the toaster with my bare hands.

After lunch it’s still raining and I would love to venture outside.

A friend of mine living in a small apartment in Wellington feels the same way. She messages through a picture with the caption: “Feeding the ducks”.

My friend Shirley feeds the ducks

I’m tired of being indoors and since it is only drizzling, I put on my raincoat and venture out.

As I walk down the road the sun comes out and a beautiful rainbow forms over Wellington harbour. I feel this is a promise. Things are going to be okay.

Suddenly, dozens of people line the streets.

Families, couples, singles. The streets are teeming with people.

I walk past one lady and she complains that I am walking around her block anti-clockwise. It’s good that people have not lost their sense of humour.

So many people are out walking and enjoying the experience. I’ve re-learned the Māori side-step so I am out of harm’s way whenever I encounter another human.

I run into some people I have not seen for a couple of months. We stop and chat from a strict two metre distance. The chat is very casual.

I walk past the tennis club. How I long to play tennis again with my tennis mates.

Once I arrive home I chat with my bubble next door. She has been for a walk too.

My daughter in Christchurch texts through a picture of my new grandson. I’m so proud of him sitting up.

My two month old grandson Grayson

How I long to hold him. How I long for my family and friends.

After dinner, it’s time to play the keyboard again. I’m feeling good so I increase the metronome to 61 beats per minute.

As I fall into bed I reflect.

That wasn’t so bad. I survived.

What will Monday bring?

If you liked this story, join up to our Daily Encourager Media Facebook page by clicking here


Did this story bring you hope?

By becoming a Daily Encourager supporter, you will help bring hope and courage to New Zealanders. Get people excited about our country and our people and the amazing things they are achieving.

You can make an investment in hope for as little as $5.

Become a supporter
The Good Registry

The Good Registry is a simple way to give joy and goodness, without giving ‘a thing’.
Find out more at

Leave a Comment


  • Wow Wayne… brilliant!
    Keep your stories coming… perhaps one for Rubbish collection day and the chores of cleaning the house or springcleaning – I’m sure you would put a great angle to it! Beautiful grandchild. Well done!

Daily Encourager
Sign up to our regular newsletter highlighting the best things happening in New Zealand society.